Avoid bed bugs
What are the causes of bed bug infestations? How do the pests get into my apartment? Bed bugs typically travel into your home as stowaways in suitcases, clothing, and furniture. In theory, a pregnant female bed bug or a few eggs are enough to have a severe problem in your own home within a few weeks. Find out how to avoid bed bug infestation here.
Avoiding bed bugs at home:
- After overnight stays in hotels, guest houses, holiday homes or the sleeping compartments of long-distance trains, bed bugs are carried home in luggage (suitcases, rucksacks and other containers). After the trip, the bags are usually taken straight to the bedroom to be unpacked. Perfect for bed bugs that need to find a place to hide near the bed. If you find insect bites on your body after an overnight stay in the accommodation industry, and these cannot be assigned to mosquitoes, greater caution is required as a matter of principle.
- In times of eBay, second-hand shops and flea markets, the spread of bed bugs via used furniture, antiques, carpets or clothing also plays an increasingly important role. It is also advisable to carry out a thorough inspection upon receipt of the second-hand goods and wash textiles with hot water first.
- Bed bugs are very mobile and do not shy away from travelling to their neighbours via cable ducts, pipes or the regular route. In particular, starved bed bugs that have not gotten their money’s worth with their former landlord or have been driven away like to look for a new blood host in the neighbourhood.
- Caution is advised with bird nests on or in the house, from which bed bugs can migrate into apartments. The same applies to attics that were formerly inhabited by birds. Bed bugs can do without blood food for 1.5 years and, like pigeon ticks, are parasites that are not picky about their host.
Avoid bed bugs while on vacation:
- When arriving at the hotel room, do not unpack your luggage near the bed. Near the mattresses, bed bugs are just waiting to crawl into the suitcases.
- Suitcases and other items of luggage should remain locked during the entire holiday after unpacking. Bed bugs are enough to find access to the minor cracks or crevices. However, the risk of infestation is significantly reduced by locking the suitcase.
- If you suspect bed bug infestation, inform the hotel staff immediately and follow the instructions under What to do in the event of bed bug infestation.
- If there are any indications of bed bug infestation, carefully examine your luggage for infestation. Bed bugs mainly prefer small cracks and holes in the suitcase’s lining and internal and external compartments and joints. Even if you do not find what you are looking for, be more careful, as bed bug eggs are difficult to find. Therefore, on arrival at home, luggage should not be stored in the bedroom to prevent the bed bugs from spreading.