Flea bites can be recognized by a tiny red dot surrounded by a reddened area. The resulting swelling is less than that of other biting or stinging insects. A flea will often bite the same spot two or three times in search of blood.
A flea bite can be felt immediately but not particularly painful. The itching caused by the body’s defensive reaction is far more uncomfortable.
Children are, particularly at risk. On the one hand, because they often play on the floor and, on the other hand, children are more sensitive to flea bites than adults.
After taking multiple bites from fleas, allergic reactions such as lichen or eczema may occur. In these cases, we recommend that you consult a doctor or pharmacist.
What do flea bites look like?
As with other insect bites, it is often difficult to identify fleas simply by their bites. But there are a few factors that can help you identify:
- Look for tiny, dark spots surrounded by reddened skin that swells a little less around the bite than the bites or stings of other insects.
- Generally, flea bites are found on the feet or lower legs. Cat or dog fleas jump off pets, carpets, bedding, or furniture to feed.
- You can usually feel a flea bite immediately because a single flea will often bite the same spot two or three times.
- The bite itself doesn’t hurt. It is the itching sensation resulting from the physical reaction that causes discomfort.
- Young children are at greater risk of being bitten by a flea, especially when they play on the floor – especially on carpeted floors or rugs. Children are also generally more sensitive to bites than adults.
Possible effects of flea bites
In the Middle Ages, the flea caused the plague. Even today, various infectious diseases can still be transmitted by fleas. Their harmfulness is evident from the stings they inflict on their host several times when they take in blood. Very itchy reddish papules form at the puncture sites.
AAA Termites and Pest Control offer you a mobile emergency service that specializes in flea control. Our experts are fast, effective and guarantee you, your family and your pets a professional solution to the problem. For further information or to arrange a visit with one of our competent technical advisors, please give us a call: Tel. +330 723-2515